Wednesday, August 20, 2008

It's That Time Again!

Dance time! I, for one, cannot believe the last two months have gone by as quickly as they have. I feel like Calli was just putting on her lion costume for the recital in June. Two whole months of a break was going to be great, I thought at the time. But it slipped by me and here we are, back at the dance studio once a week. There are some differences this time around though. Last year Calli was enrolled in the youngest class, Pre I, full of two year olds who had no experience dancing aside from in their living room when Barney was on. The class was held on Tuesday afternoons at 4pm. I didn't realize it until today, but it was a zoo! This season, I opted for a Wednesday, 10am Pre II time slot. First of all, there are two rooms for dancing in the studio and at this time there was only one class (Calli's) at the studio. It was quiet. There weren't tons of parents congregating in the hallways to watch their little dancers or taking up all the benches. There weren't older siblings running around underfoot. I got to sit down with Serena and let her stretch her legs and roll around without the worry of someone trampling her. And another great thing is that it's in the morning. So I don't sit around all day waiting for the class. I still have the rest of my day left. And at 11am when class ends there isn't a heck of a lot of traffic waiting for me on the highway to get home. I couldn't say the same about the 5pm ending last year. So all in all, I am pretty happy so far. I think I liked her teacher last year a bit better though. There is nothing wrong with this new one, but her teacher last year was so fantastic and wonderful with the girls; she is very hard to live up to.

So Calli is excited to start this new dance class and is now eagerly awaiting the soccer season, which doesn't start for another month. I sure hope this rain clears up before then as well. Apparently Texas did not receive the memo that it is SUMMER and it doesn't rain in the summer. It is supposed to be sunny skies galore. I thought about taking the kids to the park this afternoon when Serena woke up, but thank the Lord I did not. After I finished giving her her bottle a huge crack of thunder sounded and I would have been stuck in a down pour. How disappointing that I can't even take my kids to the park in the summer. I have only been back here a week and I am sick and tired of the weather. The first two days back it was blistering hot, over 100 degrees both days. Since then it has been rain, rain and more rain. Sorry Calli, next year when we are in California we can go out and play.

Serena is doing great as well. She has mastered rolling from her belly to her back and will now roll across the entire room. She rolled from back to belly right at three months but then went through that awful phase of not being able to roll the other way and just getting mad all the time. She had rolled belly to back a few times, but for some reason it took her a few weeks to do it consistently and we are all much happier. She also appears almost able to sit up on her own. She can sit for a few seconds or prop herself up on her hands and sit there, especially if Calli is entertaining her. It is too cute. She is now trying to propel herself on her knees, but it will be at least a month before she crawls I'm sure. Oh no, two mobile kids!! She is also sleeping fantasticly through the night (for now) and gets 10-11 hours straight sleep. Once in awhile she will wake at 5am or so for her paci and go back to bed. But I don't think she's been up before 7am in a week. And I will also claim that she is teething, although I really have no idea and I don't think anyone really does. I can say that yes, she is drooling a lot (and has been for two months), yes, she is cranky, yes, she likes to put everything in her mouth. But what kid doesn't go through those periods, teething or not? So maybe she is just in a constant state of teething, no?

Here is my dancing queen and her little sister:


She was so happy for her sister to start dance again!

2 comments:

The Hip Hippo said...

they are getting so big!!

here, let's try the link again -

www.keepingupwiththekellerkids.blogspot.com

Jenna said...

She's so cute in her dancing outfit! I can't believe Serena is old enough to roll all around the place, time flies!