Monday, September 29, 2008

Life

It's been awhile. Since I can't blog about the thing I really want to blog about, I haven't had much motivation to write.

My grandmother passed away a week and a half ago. She is in a much better place, free of the pain she felt in the last days of her life. She will be greatly missed. I hadn't seen her in awhile and for that I feel bad. Living so far away from family, from relatives, you don't get to see the people you should see on a regular basis. And even worse, I couldn't be there for my mom. I wanted more than anything to be there for her and I just couldn't. I feel like the worst daughter in the world for choosing to live 1,500 miles away from her. And during one of the most heartbreaking trials in her life, I couldn't even be there.

So here I am. Stuck in Texas. If you had asked me five years ago I would have listed this as the place I least expected to end up in the world. Growing up in California, Texas is an easy target for jokes, to make fun of. And yet somehow, here I am. Being bitter simply because I miss my family.

The kids are doing well. Calli gets her new, smaller cast this Wednesday and then two weeks later will get it off. She will be starting soccer after that and resuming her dance class as well. I have lots of things I want to do in the coming weekends also. Halloween is getting closer and the girls have such cute costumes I want to get as much use out of them as possible. So we'll go to the pumpkin patch, the Halloween celebration at Sea World and the Botanical Gardens, pictures at Sears, and other things I'm sure I've forgotten about.

Serena has mastered her army crawl and is everywhere. She gets up on her knees a bit too and I would imagine she'll be doing the regular crawl within the next week. It seems like she was just born and unreal that she is turning half a year old on Saturday. Where does the time go?

Calli drives us crazy with her board game obsession. A part of me wishes we would never have bought them in the first place. But no, I thought it would be a great idea to get her into games. I kind of forgot I would be the one playing with her twenty times a day. Candyland and The Ladybug Game are her favorite. I enjoy Candyland, it's easy and quick. And The Ladybug Game has helped her recognize some of her numbers and work on her counting skills. So they have been educational even!

That's about it from us. For now at least...
Serena's favorite toy - the Taggie
Calli was so excited that we finally let her feed Serena. She calls it "grass food".

Me and the kids
Calli is a Candyland fanatic!
Serena loves to crawl under things now!
Serena and Lizzie both enjoying her toy
Sweet smiles
Serena also loves to play with the door stop
Calli is a budding photographer

2 comments:

mumof2boys said...

As you know I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Atleast she is at peace now.

I love seeing and hearing about everything you're upto. The photos are so cute.

Jenna said...

Aww, Nicole. I am so sorry to hear about your loss! I'm sure your mum understands why you can't be there so try not to feel too guilty about it. I'll keep you in my thoughts, take care!!