Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Worried

I debated blogging about this, but have decided that it's better to get my feelings out. I am the type of person that thrives on support. And I figure more thoughts and prayers can only help.

Yesterday I got a call from my doctor that the blood test I had taken last week (the triple screen or quad screen - I'm not sure which I had) came back positive for down syndrome. I spent the next few hours in tears and worry. I called Richard crying. I called my sister crying. I called my dad crying. After hours of thoughts (and crying) I felt more at peace. I began doing research a little bit online, but the internet is so massive and there is so much information out there it is hard to narrow it down. Basically what I found is that I tested positive for the risk of down syndrome, which doesn't necessarily mean that the baby has it. I will go for an ultrasound (to be scheduled today) within the next week to see. So all we can do is wait.

I think that is the worst part, the not knowing. I am growing this baby inside of me, it is existing as part of me, taking nutrients and vitamins from me, depending on me for survival, and I know nothing about it! I don't know if it's a girl or a boy, I don't know if it's even healthy now. All I know is that it will be loved and I think that's all that matters now. This would be a life changing thing, but the world would not come to an end. We would deal with it, we would love the baby and nothing would ever change that.

I feel so stupid now looking back on the last month. I was so excited for my ultrasound to find out the gender next week. Now all I can think is how selfish and stupid that was. Who gives a crap if this is a boy or a girl? I mean seriously, the thought of being disappointed in one or the other makes me sick. All I wish is for this baby to be healthy, that is all anyone should want. I am so annoyed with the people who "have to have" one gender over the other. Whose first thought when they are pregnant is that the baby better be one or the other. Now all I can think about is if my baby is even healthy. I hope I don't hear any more insensitive, stupid comments about us hoping this one is a boy because we have two girls. I just want my baby to be okay.

So now we just wait for the ultrasound. This is something I am not good at. I am a fairly impatient person so the not knowing is killing me. I have already began to prepare myself for the worst. I think that is the smartest thing to do at this point, to go in thinking there is something wrong with the baby. That way if there is, I won't go through being shattered all over again. I will just expect it.

It is a scary thing to hear that your baby might not be healthy. It's as if every other problem in your life is suddenly so trivial and unimportant and you wonder how you could really have cared about anything else besides the health and happiness of your family. This is definitely an experience I will never forget, no matter how it turns out. I am praying for the best of course, but expecting the worst. I am not a pessimist, just a realist.

8 comments:

Steph said...

I hope everything goes well with your ultrasound and you can get some reassuring answers. I know the wait must be so difficult, and I can't even imagine how you guys must be feeling now. A friend of mine who I used to work with had her screening come back positive for down syndrome, but it turned out to be a false positive and her baby ended up being completely healthy. I know that probably doesn't make you feel any better, but I just wanted to share a happy story and hope that you get good news. *hugs* I'm sorry you're going through this right now.

Kelly Jo said...

I cannot imgaine what is going through your mind. You will be in my thoughts. I'm a good listener if you need to talk it out.

Tiffany :) said...

I cannot pretend to know what it is you are going through. Nobody who has not been there themselves could possibly know...but my thoughts and my prayers are with you and your family today. I hope that you find out you're having a healthy baby today and remember that we are always hear to listen to whatever you have to say. <3 Best of Luck today and I'll be thinking of you guys!

Kristin said...

I am sorry to hear this! If it makes you feel any better, I know A LOT of women who have had the same test you have, and their babies have not had downs syndrome. That test gives A LOT of false positives (my doctor makes it optional, he doesn't believe in it) I really hope everything is fine!! Please keep me updated! You will be in my prayers

dennisandsong said...

Oh. . . Well, let me see, what do I say. . .

I am in a unique position here. . .

We had our tests be totally good and surprise we got Vivi. . . I have never heard of a false negative!

I have on the other hand heard of tons (literally tons) of people that got a false positive. My first reaction is, that is what you are looking at just because there are so many. . .really. I can think of 3 off the top of my head right now of friends and family that had false positives so, you never know. These tests are not fool proof so hang in there it really might be ok.

If not, well, you have at least one resource and well knowing shoulder to cry on. I am not going to lie to you, I am praying you won't have to go through it. It is tough, scary and 4 plus years I am still not quite adjusted to the idea.
BUT, it really is ok. Life does go on and while Viv has a lot of challenges, she is sooooo wonderful too, just like my other kids. She has very outward challenges and difficulties and she requires more time from us, but really, I love her just like my other kids. They have challenges and difficulties too, just not so obvious, you know what I mean?
If your little one does end up with Downs, it may feel like the end of the world but really it will be ok, I promise. You will love this baby so much regardless.

I don't know Nicole, I don't know what to say, there is not much that could make you feel better, I know. My advice is to try your hardest not to freak out unless you have to, if it turns out you need to, then call me and I will help you as much as possible. I have a 4 year head start on you and maybe that will make it a little easier as you travel down that unknown path?
Good luck, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Love and miss you,
Song

mumof2boys said...

You know I'm here for you, but just wanted to know I'm always here. I do truely believe each child is given to a parent, and that parent is the best one for him/her. You are so wonderful with the girls and you will be just as great with this next little one.

No matter what, the bubby will still be your little one, you'll still give birth to him/her, you'll get to hold, cuddle and feel all those wonderful moments in the first few days of getting to know the child that has been growing inside of you the last 9 months. You will be able to rock bubs to sleep, and be number one in their life. Just as you are with the girls.

<3

Unknown said...

I am so very sorry to hear that you're going through this Nicole. A girl I work with is also in the same situation and from what she has been going through the past week I can only imagine how tough it is for you, too.

I am thinking of you and hoping for the best outcome... xoxo

Berni Blog said...

It must be terrifying to have to go through this, and I am sorry that you are so far away from your family while you do. I hope that everything turns out just fine. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, maybe we don't know it now, but we will someday. My prayers are with you and your family. Many hugs and kisses>