Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tired. Just tired.

You think you are tired with the second pregnancy. Well, let me start over; you think you are tired with the first pregnancy. All that sleeping in, napping whenever you want or need, taking hot relaxing baths and vegging on the couch can really get to you! Okay, so pregnancy in itself just makes you tired even if you aren't doing anything. But you have to admit, a first time pregnancy seems pretty easy in retrospect.

So then you decide that it really wasnt that bad and hey, let's do it again! So you get to cooking Baby #2 and realize that it is not quite so easy. As I said, you think you are tired. Toward the end of it, I knew I was tired! And maybe it depends on the age gaps you have with your kids. If you wait a long time and have a child who is in school all day, I would think it would be a bit easier than chasing after a toddler all day, which is what I did. I had this rambunctious two-year-old who had started to give up her daily naps and sometimes it was hard to get through the day. At the end of my pregnancy I was so tired I had no idea how in the world I was going to manage two children! I thought I would drop from being so tired all the time. But this amazing thing happened; when Serena was born I suddenly had all this energy! I didn't really realize or think about the fact that I was pregnant and that alone was eating all my energy. I just thought I was going to feel like that forever! But I was wrong. Once she came out it was a brand new world for me! Even getting up several times a night with her was much less tiring than being pregnant with her was, how crazy is that!? Like I said, I thought I was tired.

But I am here to tell you that it is really the THIRD pregnancy that does you in. Oh. My. Gosh! Am I ever tired. Now this may have something to do with the fact that that two-year-old has turned into a sassy, spunky three-year-old who wears me out. She is now more emotionally exhausting than physically. She still likes to run and be crazy, but she is three (nearly four!) and doesn't get into things she shouldn't be getting into and doesn't need such a constant watchful eye. She'll sit still to watch a show (or ten if I let her!!) and I'll have a few minutes of peace. But now she is older and able to back talk and give me attitude and drive me crazy! So she takes care of my emotional well-being, while my ten-month-old makes sure I am physically exhausted from chasing after her new walking legs each day. The nice thing about said ten-month-old is that she actually naps during the day. There is a brief two to three hour break that I get from her and I wish I could convince Calli to follow suit. But no.

I am *almost* in the third trimester and by the time you hit the third pregnancy, the myth about the second trimester being the best and the time when you get all your energy back is complete crap. I have been worn down for about two months now I would say and May cannot come soon enough. Of course I know it will be tiring caring for three children under the age of four, but as I remember last time, I will get my energy back when I have this baby in my arms instead of in my belly.

1 comments:

dennisandsong said...

I know what you mean, I thought I would die with Ian but my fourth wasn't quite as bad surprisingly. Maybe because Will and Viv had school and Ian napped so I got some of that down time? Seriously though I really know. . . it is exhausting. Wait till he is born, then you will know all over agian what it means to be tired!!! Call me if you need a listening ear!!
Good luck, you will make it!!