Monday, July 21, 2008

Sisters trump Mother

Lately I have been feeling like Serena loves her big sister more than she loves me. Perhaps this is because she DOES love her big sister more than me. When Calli comes into a room, Serena's eyes immediately turn to her and a huge smile lights up her face. When Calli comes to play with Serena, she is in heaven. She just adores her big sister. What could be better than a person who is close to her own size, after all? Maybe she knows already what it means to have a sister. She knows that her sister will become her biggest confidant and staunchest supporter in life. Calli's silly games and crazy dances are often rewarded with giggles that last for minutes. Calli has the uncanny ability to make Serena smile and laugh like no one else can. And this makes me a bit jealous of her! A baby is supposed to love her Mommy the most, right?

I am very grateful and happy to see this special bond between the two of them. I can only hope this turns into a lifelong friendship and Calli's proclamations of Serena being her "best friend" stick. And even if I am not the one producing the sweet smiles from my baby, it is still a joy to see.

I had purchased a hat for Serena at Babies R Us last week. She has been in the sun a few times without a hat and it seemed like a good idea for her to have one. A few days later Calli discovered the hat sitting on a chair and put it on Serena's head. She then had to run upstairs to find her own hat so they could be "twins". Then, in true Calli fashion, she insisted I take their picture.

2 comments:

dennisandsong said...

So cute. I am especially sensitive to the bond between siblings since I didn't grow up with mine. I pray that my children will be friends and like eachother! Right now there is a lot of tormenting going on, so I am praying a lot that it is normal and they will one day appreciate eachother. It is so nice that your girls are already bonding, I hope it lasts too! Siblings in my opinion are such a gift. Friends from cradle to grave as the saying goes!

Jenna said...

So cute! Before you know it they'll be ganging up on you like my two do :)