Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Morning, Noon & Night Sickness

When I got pregnant with Calli I remember thinking I would be safe from the morning sickness. After all, my mom had gone through three pregnancies and had not a day of it and that stuff runs in the genes right? Wrong. One week after finding out the happy news, at exactly six weeks pregnant, the nausea overcame me. It was just an indescribable experience. I couldn't eat. I was physically ill every day, more than once a day. Any smell that didn't agree with me would set me off; I developed many food aversions during this period. Finally three weeks later relief came in the form of a tiny, doctor prescribed pill: Phenergan. It was a Godsend and worked like a charm. The only problem with phenergan is that it knocks you out. After taking the medicine I had to go take a two-three hour nap (no joke!). After that though, I would wake up feeling no nausea and was very happy.

When I got pregnant with Serena I was a little bit nervous because I didn't know whether to expect the same thing. And God knows I couldn't rely on a pill that would knock me out for hours when I had a two-year-old to chase after all day. Luckily my morning sickness was MUCH better. I just felt nauseas through the morning and then better throughout the day (it was true MORNING sickness). It completely passed by three months or so.

This pregnancy falls somewhere in the middle of those two. I feel more nauseas than I did last time and the migraines I have on a daily basis don't help. I find I feel a bit better if I keep some food in my stomach, but who can eat when they feel nauseas? I have taken to waking up in the morning with Calli and eating a few saltines and sipping 7-up. This has been a surprisingly helpful remedy. I am so thankful that Serena sleeps until at least 8:30am most mornings and I can just lounge on the couch for a bit in the morning while I feel my worst.

I have no doubt this third pregnancy will be harder in every way. I have two kids to take care of now, one who is just six months old. I find myself asking "what was I thinking?" some of the time. I am excited to have another baby, I have always wanted at least three; but I can't help but wish I could fast forward the next eight months. Or at least skip the first three months so I can start feeling a bit of relief from the nausea.

One thing I think to myself quite a bit is "just get through it". Because it really is all I can do. I have no choice about the baby; it is growing inside of me whether I like it or not and I really am happy, truely I can't wait to meet this new family member. And I know time goes on, it does not pause and although sometimes I find myself wishing it would, now is not one of those times.

5 comments:

The Hip Hippo said...

check out my blog, you won an award!

mumof2boys said...

So I have a bit if interesting research for you. A friend of mine is pregnant and has shocking morning sickness. She was told by a friend that the reason you get morning sickness is because you don't have enough protein stored. So to start eating almonds and within two or three days you will have protein store and be feeling much better. She's tried it and it's worked. You should give it a go. She has a handful before bed and snack on them throughout the day.

dennisandsong said...

First of all don't feel guilty for wishing past this time. Who doesn't really? No one likes feeling sick. So don't beat yourself up for not being totally excited right now!! You are right though, just get through it and the reward is another sweet baby that will be precious to your family. The time now is hard, but a drop in the bucket of what you will be getting in return. Hang in there, you're tough and you can make it through. If we are wishing. . .I wish I lived closer to come and take your kids while you rest!! Good luck, you will make it through!!

Steph said...

Oh man, I totally felt like that when I was pregnant with Camille. I got prescribed Phenergan too, but since I was working at the time I couldn't take it during the day like I wanted to. I remember going to my six week appointment and seeing her on the ultrasound for the first time and holding one of those bucket things because I thought for sure I was going to be sick right there on that table. It was awful and I distinctly remember wanting it to go by as fast as it could. Anyway, I hope you start feeling better very soon!

Kristin said...

Holy cow! I must have missed your announcement! Congratulations!! I hope you feel better soon! I hated the morning sickness phase..