Friday, January 9, 2009

Our Healthy Baby


It never fails; when you go to a doctor's appointment you are going to have to wait. This is probably some law we all don't know about. I have never seen a doctor at my actual scheduled appointment. Even if you get taken back at your appointment time, you still sit in the exam room waiting for the doctor past your scheduled time. Why is this? Yes, as the day goes on things get backed up, it makes sense. But even having the first appointment of the day I've found doesn't really matter. You still won't have contact with the doctor until 10-15 minutes later.
These last few years I have had A LOT of doctor's appointments, so I have become pretty familiar with the waiting process. Yesterday at my appointment I was the only one in the waiting room for a 2:00pm appointment. Yet, I didn't get back there until fifteen minutes after the hour. I was by myself and had some time to think and that is what I hate. When you are waiting for an appointment where you could potentially get bad news, your mind goes a mile a minute. You can't help but think all these bad thoughts and all the time you are waiting your stomach gets more twisted up in knots. By the time I finally do get to go see the doctor my stomach is a ball of sore nerves and I've envisioned all the worst case scenarios.
Luckily yesterday turned out to be a best case scenario. The doctor said that the baby's heart looks fine and I can now continue on and have an uneventful pregnancy (something that you wouldn't think would be such a huge blessing!). The white spots on the baby's heart are gone and the doctor was able to locate a nasal bone right away when we were looking at the baby's profile. He is still measuring two weeks behind and at this point it looks like my due date is off (which probably threw the quad-screen results in the first place). So instead of having a mid-May baby I suspect it will be more like an end-of-May baby. This means I have to "redo" two weeks of my pregnancy and instead of being twenty-two weeks along I'm more like twenty. But that is really okay, it gives us an extra two weeks to prepare right!?
So I now feel like I know so much about this baby. I know that his DNA is fine. And I know that he doesn't have any heart problems. About the only things I knew about Calli and Serena were that they were babies in there. I didn't even know their sex! This time is different. I feel grateful for our blessings and that everything turned out fine. I can't even begin to express that in words. In a way, going through this has made us stronger and taught us A LOT. I know I would never opt for the quad screening again, that is for sure.
Oh and in case we had any doubts, in case the first ultrasound and the 100% amnio confirmation wasn't enough, this is definitely a boy. He is not shy. It's funny because both my girls crossed their legs during their ultrasounds (Calli did it for two!) and so I said if this one crosses it's legs it is a girl. But low and behold, here is the boy proudly showing us his parts.

6 comments:

The Hip Hippo said...

i have had you in my thoughts throughout this whole process, and i'm glad that things turned out completely fine! i am so excited that you are having a boy! i know sex doesn't matter to you... but i'm glad you will get to experience both a son and daughters! i hope the rest of your pregnancy is smooth!! may 14th is a great day to have a little boy!!

Jenna said...

I am so happy for you! Congrats on your healthy little boy!

A lady at work is 15 weeks pregnant and they couldn't find a nasal bone at her last ultrasound. She had another one on Wednesday and there it was, all 3mm of it! I'm sure it happens more than we realise and that unfortunately, it was just a whole lot of stress for nothing.

Hope the next 20 weeks is uneventful for you.

Tiffany :) said...

I'm so thrilled for you guys! Thank goodness he is perfectly healthy! :)

It's so funny - all the people I know having boys recently have sons who are proud to display that part! Congratulations again though and I'm hopeing you have a very uneventful next 20 weeks!

Steph said...

I'm so glad you got good news! I'm sorry you had to go through weeks of worry though, but at least the outcome is good. Congrats on having a healthy boy in there!

Heather Guymon said...

Yeah we totally should do that! I live about ten minutes from the Ikea here so if you ever come up here DEFINITELY let me know!

Heather Guymon said...

Oh yeah and as for the baby furniture...I sold ALL my baby stuff. I was SURE I wasn't having another baby ever again so why keep it lol...now I have to get it all over again lol.