Monday, June 30, 2008

My Baby Girl is Three

The day Calli came into the world was a bright and sunny day. Living on a tropical island, we never knew what to expect each day; it could suddenly turn to rain at the drop of the hat. But that morning, June 29th, 2005, I woke up to have my water break a few minutes later and was relieved to see sunny skies. I knew this meant that the drive to the hospital would be much easier than if sheets of rain were falling from the skies. And I would be able to tell my baby it was a beautiful day when she made her entrance in our lives. On June 29th, 2008, that baby girl turned three and the weather was much the same. A bit hotter of course, being that it's June in Texas.

Calli woke up and came out of her room yesterday just as I was coming out of mine. "Happy Birthday, you're three!" I told her. She sweetly told me "thank you". We then went downstairs and I asked her if she wanted to go outside and enjoy her bouncehouse for a little longer before they came and took it back. So out we went to jump around and be crazy. I left her out there to come make her the blueberry muffins I had promised for her birthday breakfast. She is in love with these muffins just like her mommy was as a kid. I held the family record for most blueberry muffins consumed in one sitting: seven. I could never eat that many now though! I think Calli will surpass me someday, she would eat about four if I let her. After breakfast it was back to bouncing. Then I had to give her a bath, get her dressed and do her hair. She wore the same birthday dress she did last year and I couldn't believe it still fit. I put a special birthday ribbon in her hair that she had received as a gift at her party. Then we went downstairs and it was time for the presents I had saved. She had been receiving many packages over the week from various relatives. I had let her open the ones from her Grandma and Grandpa Ratcliff and Great-Grandma and Grandpa Ratcliff as well as some cards. But I saved the packages from her Aunties, Grandma and Grandpa Claxton, Great-Aunt, and godmother. It looked like Christmas in our living room after she got done unwrapping all her presents! She has a brand new summer wardrobe as she managed to receive SEVEN new dresses and two shirts. At least I don't have any clothes shopping to do for her for awhile!

Next came the present from Mommy and Daddy. The night before, after her birthday party was over and the kids were in bed, Richard went out to the Walmart down the street and purchased a brand new Barbie Jeep. We stayed up until 11:00pm putting it together and were so excited to give it to her. We put it out on the front stoop and I went and rang the doorbell and waited to capture her reaction on video. She opened the door and immediately ran out to the jeep and said "This is my jeep!". She asked if it was for her birthday and we told her it was. Then she asked if she could drive it to the park right away! But we just rode it around the lawn and driveway for a bit. I am sure Daddy will take her the park to ride it sometime this week.

After all the morning festivities, we went to lunch at Red Robin. This has unknowingly become a tradition for her birthday. On her first birthday (it was a Thursday) Richard was working and we met him at the Red Robin near his work for lunch. Last year my mom and sisters were out to help celebrate her birthday and we again went to lunch at Red Robin. So this year I decided to continue the tradition. The waiters sang happy birthday to her while she cowered behind Daddy a bit being shy. But when she saw the ice cream sundae, that was it! She dug right in and loved it. After lunch we headed to Toys R Us. Her "Grandma-Great" had sent a check for her birthday and we told her she could pick out a toy with the money. So she spent a great deal of time playing around in the toy store, trying to decide which toy she wanted to give the honor of bringing home to. She finally settled on a Little Mermaid bride doll and a Handy Manny book (Serena also got a new toy: a pink exersaucer).

We were on our way home from the toy store and decided to make one final fun stop for the day: Chuck E. Cheese! Calli was estatic of course and ran around playing games and winning tickets, which she finally cashed in for some lollipops and a ring. We headed home for real after that and spent time playing with all Calli's new toys. The calls from aunts and grandparents came in and Calli was so happy to hear all the happy birthdays and chat with her relatives. We ate dinner and then brought out the leftover cake from her party. I lit three more candles atop the cake and we sang happy birthday to her again. She made a wish (shouting out something about Mommy) and blew them all out. After eating some cake and ice cream and reading her new ladybug book for the twelve hundredth time that day, the birthday girl finally went to bed. It was an exhausting weekend and there is no doubt that that was one spoiled little girl. But the way I see it, your daughter only turns three once and why not make it as fun and special as possible?

I am sad that her birthday weekend is over. We had planned and looked forward to everything for so long and it all passed by so quick. And now I have a three-year-old. It seems like not too long ago that my days were consumed with nursing, crying and little sleep. Oh, things haven't changed too much, but now it's a different little one I am devoting those things to. I feel sad sometimes when I think that I'll never get back my little Calli. I love watching her grow and learn and do new things. But she is turning into a little girl now, not a baby or a toddler any longer. In just two short years she will be going off to school. I can't bear to think of that day, I will surely cry buckets. I am just trying to enjoy all my time with her while I can. These years are certainly the most fun and I love having her around (well, most of the time!).

At 4:46PM on June 29th, 2005 at the Naval Hospital in Guam, my first child was born. There is no feeling in the world like giving birth to your first child. Two days overdue, she was a tiny little thing at six pounds eight ounces and seventeen and a half inches long. She had a small head full of hair and I was in love with her. Right there I decided all the bigger babies were chunky and roly poly and the bald ones looked like little old men. My baby was the standard and anything else just didn't compare to her. She was beautiful. She was sweet. She was mine. The doctor held her up when she was born and before Richard could even get out the words, I had squeeled "it's a girl!" They placed her on my stomach and she just stared at me, at her mother. I was a mother! This day will forever be the most important of my life because it is the anniversary of the day I became a mother. So thank you Calli for making that possible, for making all my dreams come true.

Mommy loves you. Happy birthday baby girl! And no matter how big you get and how many times you tell me you're the "big sister" and not a baby, you will always be my baby...

Calli all ready for her birthday party on Saturday

The cake I made. I was so proud of how it turned out!

Calli and her cake


Calli and Serena with the balloons, just waiting for the party to start

Pinata time! The birthday girl got the first few swings, but that ladybug was tough!

Finally Richard had to break it


She dove into her presents before I could even grab the camera!

Opening her presents

Cheese!

Happy birthday to you!

Blowing out her candles

Calli and Natalie playing in her sandbox

Enjoying her bounce house on her birthday morning

Opening her presents

A Cinderella barbie from Grandma Keri and Grandpa James!

Ladybug girl!

Calli in her new Barbie jeep



Lunch at Red Robin

Serena in the exersaucer at Toys R Us. Yes, she has us wrapped around her finger because she convinced us to buy it without saying a word!

Calli got a balloon and crown at Toys R Us since it was her birthday. Here she is riding Garfield on the way out

Me and the birthday girl!

Calli showing Serena how to play with her new exersaucer

Singing Happy Birthday one more time on her real birthday

0 comments: