Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Adventures at the Doctor

Yesterday was Serena's one month check-up at the doctor. The title of this post makes it sound so much more exciting than it actually was, but I just have a little trouble coming up with good titles. Anyway, it was pretty hot and miserable yesterday (it was 92 with the humidity pushing the heat index even higher) so toting two kids in and out of the car multiple times that day was really no fun. Serena's appointment went well and she is a very healthy little girl. She weighs 10 pounds, 14.5 ounces (which is 14.5 ounces more than I guessed she weighed!) and is 22 inches long. Those are both 75th percentile. Her head hasn't grown too much and has dropped down to 50th percentile. She has a much bigger head than Calli. When Calli was born her head was so small it wasn't on the charts. Since then she has fluctuated in percentiles, but always no more than 25th (and that was only once). I always thought with Calli that I would much rather have a baby with a small head because it looked more normal. But really, Serena's head has never seemed too big to me. So after all that weighing and measuring business we got to see the doctor, who was very impressed with her sleeping skills. She gave Serena a clean bill of health and then it was on to the shots (a Mommy's biggest fear at the doctor!). They just gave her one shot so it wasn't too bad. The part I hate the most though is just watching my baby lie there before the shot comes, so oblivious to what is about to take place. She is just happy and content and then BAM! Out of nowhere comes this prick in the leg. So not only must it hurt, it must be really startling and frightening that Mommy could allow something like this to happen! I think mothers are more traumatized by the shots than the babies. They are over it in a few minutes and usually conked out.

After the doctor we went to the post office to mail a bunch of packages to various people. This was quite the challenge as I had a baby carrier to hold, a toddler's hand to hold and four packages to try and carry inside. I ended up leaving Calli by the door while I ran back and forth about twenty feet to the car to get the packages. Then I pushed them across the floor and inside to the line with my feet. It wasn't easy, but I did it! Who needs the gym, right!??!?! As I was mailing them, the kids were waiting very patiently (well, one of them was asleep) behind me. I heard Calli talking to people, but she always does and I wasn't paying much attention as I was trying to get the packages dealt with. When I'm finally done and turn around there is a small crowd gathered around Serena and Calli and everyone is cooing at the baby and asking Calli if it's her little sister. Calli is always such a proud big sister when she hears this question and promptly tells whoever asked her that "her name is Serena" whether they wanted to know or not. I was told I had beautiful daughters and was very lucky and that is certainly true. I don't know that there is a bigger compliment out there to me than hearing praise about my kids. Whether it's that they are beautiful, smart, well behaved, polite, etc., it always makes my day to hear these things. After all, it reflects on how they are being raised (okay, and their good genes!) and so it is also an indirect compliment to me. I know that I have beautiful girls, but hearing other people tell me that as well absolutely makes my day.

So today it is my turn to go to the doctor for my six week post partum check. I almost can't believe it has been six weeks already (Serena is six weeks on Friday). Six weeks ago I was probably sitting at this same computer wondering WHEN the baby was going to come out in the world, as I was six days overdue at that point. Little did I know what was to come. I am so thankful for my kids, I was truely blessed with them. Can a parent really ask for more than healthy children in this world? Some days I feel so much love in my heart for them that I just want to have ten more children to replicate the feeling over and over. The love a parent has for their children is a very strong and beautiful thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Serena is growing perfectly! She does have amazing sleeping habits...you're very lucky! I'm guessing she got her 2nd Heb B (if you opted for 1 in the hospital)? I chose to have Caleb get that at his 2 months so he doesn't have to be pricked at both visits! Anyways, you DO have beautiful daughters. :) And I agree...the love is something you could never describe and never understand until it is your own.

dennisandsong said...

You think it is hard toting around 2, wait till you have 4!!! I remember when I had Vivi, I had to ask my friends with more children, "How the heck do you get them both in the car?" Now I am just used to the zoo I have going on here!! It sounds like you did good though!! I am glad everything checked out!

Heather Guymon said...

You definitely have some beautiful daughters.