Tuesday, May 13, 2008

BAM, coffee!

I haven't made coffee at home....well, ever really. We have this coffee machine that my mom bought us for Richard and my first Christmas when we were in Guam. I think I used it maybe once and since then we have carted it from house to house, always putting it on the countertop to stare at. It gets the most useage when we have visitors, as most of our relatives are coffee drinkers. I do enjoy coffee, but I am the kind of person who likes a nice mocha from Starbucks from time to time. But I am not hopping in the car with two kids to go to the coffee shop and we have this perfectly good coffee maker sitting there, soooo...I made some coffee this morning. Desperate times I guess. Okay, this morning really isn't too bad. Serena slept from 9pm to 5:30am. The problem is that she is a sound sleeper until about 3am when she wakes briefly wanting her pacifier. After that she is a very restless sleeper which means even though she IS sleeping, I am not. I don't want to encourage her to start waking at 3am to eat again so I just let her be until she is really ready to wake up, even if that means I'm up for another two hours waiting for her, like this morning. Sometimes I just lie there hoping she will wake up so I can feed her and get her back to sleep because I know if she wakes up too late she won't go back to sleep. That happened this morning. Since she slept until 5:30am, it was about 6am when she was done with her feeding and of course, refused to go back to bed. With a first baby this would be no problem, as I could rest later. I knew she would be tired in about two hours, if that, but by that time, my lovely first born would be awake. So to sum this up (and it probably makes no sense because I am a little on the tired side) I have pretty much been up since 3am. Serena just went back down for a nap, like I knew she would, but Calli woke up at about 7:15am screaming for me from the confines of her bed. I think she thinks that it is a prison of some sort with invisible bars holding her in because for whatever reason she just refuses to get up on her own in the morning. I can't really fault her because I was the same way as a kid. I remember I used to have to have my mom come and get me up in the morning, even on the weekends. If she didn't come do it herself I would cough repeatedly trying to get her attention to come get me. Yes, that is so weird looking back. It seems Calli has gotten into the same habit, only instead of coughing she is screaming "MOMMY" at the top of her lungs.

Today we have Serena's doctor appointment. This appointment was supposed to happen last Monday, but thanks to the insurance it did not. You see, I managed to get myself, a toddler and a newborn all ready and out the door in the early afternoon to go to the doctor. I showed up, waited in the waiting room for twenty minutes before finally being called to the desk and being told that Serena was not added to the insurance yet and we couldn't be seen (unless we wanted to pay out of pocket). I was more than a little cranky about the whole thing, considering I had just wasted half my day getting ready for and going to the office. Luckily the paperwork for the insurance finally went through at the end of last week and so I was able to get another appointment today. I am dying to know how much she weighs! She feels so heavy to me, but maybe that is because my last baby was 6.5 pounds at birth.

And I will leave you with a funny Calli story that happened over the weekend. Calli had taken one of Serena's bottles that I left (nearly empty) sitting on the coffee table and brought it over to her kitchen along with a sock left lying on the floor (can you get an idea of how clean my house is?). She proceeded to pretend the bits of formula left in the bottle was cleaner and her sock was a cleaning rag. She "cleaned" her counters and dishes with it. When we asked her what she was doing, she told us "this is my BAM". I didn't think I had heard her right so I asked her to repeat it and sure enough, it was her BAM. I smiled and as I was leaving the room she said "BAM! And the dirt is gone". If you've never seen the commercial (or is it an infomercial??) for that product, that is their slogan. Perhaps she is watching a wee bit too much TV in the morning...

3 comments:

Steph said...

Hi Nicole! I have a blog on here too and I'm going to add you to my "friends list" on my blog so I can check in!

Steph

mumof2boys said...

My gosh, Calli is so funny. That add does my head in. I was saying to Jason we'll have to get some to see if it goes that easy :)

I sent you an email...but how much did Serena weigh.

Heather Guymon said...

Hannah does the exact same thing! She won't get up out of bed on her own in the mornings no matter what. It's pretty funny.