Friday, May 16, 2008

The thing about mobiles.......

What is the thing about mobiles? You wouldn't think a couple of shapes floating a few inches above a persons' face would be so interesting. But to Serena they are absolutely captivating. Calli never had a thing for mobiles, but maybe that's because she wasn't properly introduced right away. Living in Guam with a PCS date seven weeks after her birth, she had little more than a basinett to sleep in and some clothes to wear. Once we were settled into our new home in San Antonio and bought her bedding set complete with butterfly mobile, she didn't really have any interest in it. Oh well. Serena on the other hand cannot get enough of her mobiles. We have three in the house: the first is a Winnie the Pooh one on her pack n play downstairs, the second is a bears mobile on her swing and the last one is a Precious Moments one on her crib (only because we can't find a part to that old butterfly one). She adores looking at all these mobiles and will be content to just sit there for fifteen minutes or so just staring. We have discovered her love for Eyeore by the way she stares only at him and ignores Pooh and Piglet on that mobile. When I put her down for naps in her crib I spin that mobile up and of course that's the coolest one of all. Not only does it spin for her, but it plays music as well. If I'm lucky too, the mobile will actually put her to sleep, although sometimes I have to back in and wind it up a few times. That is my only complaint about mobiles! Someone needs to invent one that spins and plays longer than a minute. I don't know many people who could fall asleep in this time frame.

So we failed to transition Serena to her crib last Friday night. I tried again last night though and it worked better. I was motivated from not getting much sleep from the night before. She is a very deep sleeper for the first five hours of sleep or so but then she gets really restless and it's impossible for me to sleep. I give her the paci and she still sleeps, but it's fitfully and of course I'm not getting any rest bouncing up to check if she's awake yet. So by putting her in her own room she probably won't be sleeping the 7-8 hour stretch anymore, but I'm okay with that because I wasn't getting that much anyway. I figure if I can get a good five hours for the first stretch, then that's even better for me anyway. So she went down about 8:45pm and woke up at nearly 3am, which is still good. I went in and fed her and she went back down surprisingly easy. I was nervous about how much she would actually sleep though, but I didn't hear a peep until 6:30am. This was a wee bit on the early side for me, but she decided she was up for the day and what's an extra half hour anyway?

I am so glad for the weekend and happy this week passed by pretty quickly. We don't have any major plans, but just having Richard home to help is nice. And next weekend will be nice too because it is Memorial Day and a three day weekend. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

2 comments:

Tiffany :) said...

You're braver than I am! I'm not ready for him not to be in my room. Good luck with the transition!

Heather Guymon said...

Hannah was never into mobiles either. She hated her bouncer and she definitely hated the swing. Ugh how am I getting baby fever again?? LOL!