Friday, May 9, 2008

Sleeping in her own room?

Tonight we are trying to have Serena sleep in her crib for the first time. For the last five weeks she has been in a bassinet right next to my bed where I could hear her every breath if I listened hard enough. Now she is across the hall and I have two shut doors between her and me. It helps that we got an Angel Care Monitor last weekend. That is the one that goes underneath her mattress and tracks movement. If none if felt for twenty seconds an alarm sounds. I definitely have peace of mind after getting that, but it is still sad coming to the point of moving her into her own space. Calli slept in the same basinett in our room for 3.5 months. When we finally did move her, it was very sad for me and I missed her so much, despite the fact that she was just around the corner. I am just concerned we are going to mess up Serena's sleep habits now. She has been such a good baby at night and I don't want to get out of that routine! Last night she went down at 8:40pm and slept until nearly 5:30. She ate and went back to sleep for another 1.5 hours. I definitely cannot complain about her sleep habits! I am worried that we'll be getting up a few times a night though to retrieve dropped pacifiers, but we will see how it goes. If this doesn't work out, I guess we could always move her back to our room until she's ready to be on her own.

A new milestone we have reached with her is SMILING. She has started really smiling in response to our smiles as of yesterday. I can't wait for those smiles though that light up her face, the ones that happen spontaneously in response to a funny face I've made or something her crazy sister has done. I look at her beautiful baby face and see so much in her future. On one hand I want her to stay my little baby forever, but on the other hand I am so excited for all the fun things to come in the next few years. The most exciting thought for me is seeing my kids interact and play together. That will truely be so special. I sure hope they get along! I am really glad to have two little girls just 2.5 years apart. I hope they will appreciate each other as they get older and be the best of friends. Sisterly bonds are the best and I am so happy to have given this gift to them.


(They have the same big, beautiful blue eyes!)

3 comments:

Heather Guymon said...

Oh! Those angel care monitors are a LIFE SAVER! Seriously!!! I LOVED mine! It's the only thing that helped with my anxiety because I was NOT sleeping at night for fear that Hannah would die of SIDS. It's such a scary reality.

Serena is absolutely beautiful! She DOES have Calli's big blue eyes!

mumof2boys said...

Before I saw your comment I was like, the girls have the exact same eyes :) They are both so beautiful. Im so glad everything is going well. You have two wonderful little girls.

Kristin said...

Beautiful girls :D Tanner was in our room for 4 months... Mylie was in our room for about 6 months... :S I just didn't realize she had grown up kinda lol. Shes in her room for the most part, but she started waking up in the middle of the night a few times to eat :\ She used to sleep through the night :(. I am glad Serena is such a good sleeper for you!! She is a cutie!